The title of this blog post might seem like a silly question, but the answer might surprise you. The truth is there are many people who think they can clean their gaming chair by just wiping it with a towel. While this will remove some dirt and debris from the chair, it won’t do much to get rid of sweat and other oils that build up over time. If your gaming chair has been accumulating dust or grime for months at a time, then you should really consider giving it a good deep cleaning as soon as possible!
Table of Contents
What Makes a Gaming Chair Dirty?
What Makes a Fabric or Mesh Gaming Chair Dirty?
If you often play games for hours, chances are that the chair is dirty. This happens due to many reasons such as spills and stains from drinks or snacks. Moreover, sweat can also cause a certain degree of dirtiness on your gaming chair especially if it has fabric upholstery.
Here are some of the reasons why these chairs become filthy quickly:
- Dirt gets on fabric. Cloth fabric gets dirty easily. If you’re cleaning the house and come across your gaming chair, it’s possible that dust may cling to the fabric’s threads, making the chair unsanitary;
- Dust can be stuck in the mesh. The small holes or mesh of gaming chairs attract debris, threads, and dust, making it difficult to remove. In fact, the more you try to wipe it away, the more difficult it is to remove;
- Eating and drinking. Fabric and mesh gaming chairs get filthy for a variety of reasons, including individuals eating and drinking while gaming. If you’re a gamer who snacks on the run while playing a game, you may have spilled some of your drink or scattered crumbs from your meal on the chair. In the long term, this can make your chair unclean as well;
What Makes a Leather Gaming Chair Dirty?
Leather is a popular choice for gaming chairs. The smooth texture of the material makes these pieces more comfortable to sit on, especially if you’re playing games or working long hours at your desk.
However, just like fabric upholstery, leather also collects dirt and can quickly become stained with spills from drinks or food. Also, because it’s so soft and smooth, dust often gets trapped in between crevices where you can’t reach them easily to clean properly.
Because the material isn’t created in that manner, dirt can’t stick to the PU leather. Faux leather gaming chairs do not require as much cleaning as fabric varieties. They may, nevertheless, get dirty from spills and dirt and debris.
What Happens If You don’t Clean Your Chair?
If you don’t clean your gaming chair regularly, there are high chances of it getting stained and damaged.
When food particles remain stuck between crevices inside your mesh seat cushion for prolonged periods (especially during summer) when the dust is at its peak level, you might see mold growing within these areas to making them unclean even further than before causing bad odors in the long term.
Also, if there are food particles, then make sure they are cleaned off promptly before they start rotting inside these spaces themselves creating an unpleasant smell in return especially during summer when bacteria grow faster causing diseases such as flu since the air inside homes tends to be dryer than usual due to heating systems being activated more frequently.
This can also cause skin problems too if your chair isn’t regularly maintained and cleaned accordingly so that long periods of exposure don’t lead to acne-outs over prolonged durations especially if you are more prone to such skin problems due to your age and lifestyle habits.
This process can vary depending upon whether you own fabric or leather variety so make sure that you check out the cleaning instructions well beforehand before trying this at home yourself without prior experience in handling material like leather properly. You could also hire professional cleaners for getting rid of dirt from upholstery materials since there are many different types available for cleaning today such as steam-based ones among others where you need to pay a certain fee for their services.
In case you have pets or kids then any fabric variety will get dirty quite easily since the material is smooth and attracts dust, dirt as well as pet fur in particular which can be very difficult to remove manually without using special tools such as lint rollers.
If not cleaned regularly, these chairs also wear down faster especially if there are scratches on them from moving around your house with heavy objects while transporting them over longer distances year after year.
It’s best to clean upholstery materials of gaming chairs at least once every week so that you don’t end up having an unhealthy environment where bacteria breed making you sick in return each time you sit on this kind of furniture piece while playing games or working on your computer. This doesn’t mean that you have to clean fabric chairs every week though because it depends upon the frequency at which you use them as well as how much dirt is stuck onto their surface after each time of usage.
How To Clean a Gaming Chair: A Step-by-Step Guide
1. Confirm the Upholstery Type On Your Gaming Chair
You will need to check the type of material used on your chair first so that you can include an appropriate cleaning agent if it’s fabric or leather.
If you are not sure then take a small portion of the cushioning and rub it with water to see which one is absorbing more liquid since this will be another way for figuring out whether it’s leather or fabric.
There could also be microfiber among others available today where their surface tends to feel smooth, silky as well as soft instead of sticky, causing stains easily when spilled upon accidentally.
However, make sure that these materials aren’t too delicate either because they might get damaged quite easily especially if there are kids around who like playing games all day long while jumping around on your favorite seat.
Some examples of these upholstery materials include suede, velvet, silk among others where they can be cleaned easily by using a damp cloth that is squeezed in between the fibers for removing dirt and stains gradually yet effectively without damaging them or wearing them down too quickly especially in long term usage scenarios.
2. Vacuum/Dust the Chair Upholstery
First of all, use a handheld or standard vacuum cleaner to remove dust particles from the upholstery because these are usually stuck around the surface if you haven’t used your gaming chair for quite some time.
Once done with this step, switch over to using small brush attachments before moving on towards other areas that need extra attention such as seams and crevices where debris often accumulates upon longer periods of non-usage.
Make sure that there is enough space between each set of fibers so that dirt can be removed easily without being pushed deeper inside instead of getting sucked into the bag.
If it’s too much then just go ahead and change bags carefully after emptying the old one in a dustbin.
After this is done, use the crevice tool to remove dirt from smaller areas such as between buttons and cracks on your chair that you might have missed while using larger attachments earlier before going ahead with cleaning tasks.
3. Clean the Upholstery with a Water/DIY Solvent Solution/Commercial Cleaning Agent
Depending upon the type of upholstery on your gaming chair, you might need to use different cleaning solutions.
For example, if it’s fabric then an appropriate agent would be mild soap diluted in water whereas leather requires a more powerful substance like alcohol which can easily break down fats and other oils found within this material without leaving behind any residue afterward leading to permanent stains over time instead.
The DIY cleaning solution should have antiseptic properties as well because these will help prevent infection from occurring after being exposed to dirt or bacteria while sitting for long periods throughout the day (especially during summer months). This is where heat tends to accumulate inside buildings trapping moisture along with particles often making people sick even at workplaces since they are open spaces but closed off from fresh air outside that is needed for survival.
Keep in mind that commercial strong cleaning agents may break down more delicate upholstery materials. So it’s best to avoid using them on silk or suede among others unless you want a new piece of furniture instead of replacing your old gaming chair with something better since they are often expensive yet worth every penny depending upon the quality and design choices available today.
Once done with this step, go ahead and leave the chair upside down for a couple of hours so that excess water can drip out properly before handing it over a clothesline to let it dry completely. Use fans as well if you’ve got them around your home or workplace in order to make things faster although make sure not to set them up too close by because they might damage the fabric especially those made from suede where heat is required instead along with better drying conditions using air moisture outside.
Before you think about using water or any other cleaning solvents, it’s best to try your upholstery first and see if the material is absorbent enough for making a difference.
You can also apply heat onto fabrics using an iron with low moisture levels in order to remove stains that are more difficult to treat by just rubbing them out manually because they stay stuck around fibers of these types of materials too often without being removed completely after repeated attempts.
However, make sure not to use solvent cleaners directly upon leather chairs since this might damage their surface especially if there are cracks on top where liquids could seep inside then causing cracks even further down into its structure that will lead towards permanent discoloration over long periods of time instead of just cleaning the surface.
Also, remember that leather cleaners are not only safe for your furniture but also protect these items from further damage caused by dirt and stains especially if you use them sparingly without overusing any one of them because they could wreak havoc upon long term usage scenarios as well.
You might want to consider using a suede brush instead which will be suitable enough for brushing away debris stuck within fibers which can help clean upholstery in general even better than before while leaving behind an appealing scent along with softness to touch where it’s needed most after being treated properly beforehand.
4. Get Rid of Stubborn Stains
Once this step is finished, it’s time to focus upon stains that are more difficult to remove like juice or any other liquid substance that might have spilled onto your favorite gaming chair. For these kinds of cases, you’ll want to grab yourself a wet sponge first which has been dipped in some soapy water already before rubbing the stain gently until it starts disappearing gradually over time while being absorbed into the material where soap can’t reach without causing damage on its own instead if used improperly.
At the same time, don’t scrub too hard since this will lead towards spreading around dirt particles even further making things worse than they were previously after coming across such issues for many years now including spills caused by soda and coffee among others along with their sticky nature which is very difficult to remove by just using soap alone.
For even more stubborn stains, you can try out some rubbing alcohol or any other solvent cleaners without causing any damage to the surface of your gaming chair. However, don’t pour it directly over the stain since this might end up ruining everything completely afterward if not done properly especially when dealing with these kinds of solvents for long periods of time instead. Make sure that they are diluted first before applying them onto a small area to see how effective they will be.
As a side note, you can also try out your hand at using toothpaste as an alternative to other methods since it’s been shown that grittiness within the paste works wonders in removing stains from skin and clothes for many years now including those caused by crayons on top of desks where children might have drawn graffiti without permission.
Nevertheless, make sure not to use white toothpaste that contains baking soda or salts due to their higher alkalinity levels making them unsuitable for cleaning leather upholstery easily enough instead because they will cause further damage over time after being used too often especially when there are already cracks present among its foundation before coming across such issues afterward.
5. Wash the Armrests, Base, and Frame
Once all of the stains are removed, it’s time to move on to washing the armrests along with their pads without causing any discomfort while being able to keep them clean after opening up its structure for maintenance.
To make things easier, you can also try out using a lint roller to get rid of dust that might be stuck upon the chair. Or just wipe down each pad by hand instead where they tend to accumulate dirt throughout several years.
Then you may focus on cleaning everything underneath the chair as well as the base of your chair where most dirt accumulates. Use a wet sponge dipped in soapy water before scrubbing it thoroughly. This should help to remove all kinds of stains including those left behind by soda and coffee among others along with their sticky nature.
When you’re done, make sure that everything is dried properly.
Finally, clean the frame using a dry towel or microfiber cloth to get rid of dust and dirt within its crevices while wiping everything down thoroughly afterward.
Optionally you may apply leather cream evenly over every surface since this will help maintain your chair including those found on the armrests where they tend to accumulate sweat throughout several years.
6. Tighten Any Loose Screws and Clean the Casters
At last, tighten any loose screws that you might have noticed while cleaning your favorite gaming chair thoroughly. Then clean the casters with a dry towel or microfiber cloth to get rid of dust and dirt within its crevices after sticking it on top of each one for at least 15 minutes beforehand.
How to Clean Leather Gaming Chairs:
How to clean synthetic leather:
- Use a clean, dry cloth to wipe the surface;
- Clean stains with water and mild soap or leather cleaning lotion;
- Dry immediately by blotting with paper towels or soft cloths;
- If you wet the leather, let it dry in a well-ventilated place;
- Avoid direct sunlight and heat to prevent damage from occurring;
How to clean genuine leather?
The first thing you should know about genuine leather is that it’s not very easy to clean. In fact, some people recommend never trying to clean a piece of real leather furniture because the cleaning process can damage or mar the surface and reduce its value if you try to sell it later on.
However, most modern pieces of “genuine” leather are treated with an artificial coating that helps protect them from spills and stains – they’re still tough but more forgiving than standard all-natural pieces. Therefore, even though you should avoid trying to remove any type of spill directly from your genuine leather chair, there are ways in which you can effectively care for this material to ensure its durability over time:
- Read the manufacturer’s care instructions before doing anything else. Every brand and style will vary, so it’s important that you get this information from them prior to moving forward;
- To clean the surface, start by dusting it with a soft cloth;
- Make a 50/50 vinegar and water solution in a bowl and apply it to your furniture using a microfiber cloth;
- Rub the leather in a circular motion to pull out dirt from the natural fibers. Frequently return the cleaning cloth to the basin, wringing it out and rewetting it. You’ll see that the dirt is removed from the leather and placed in the bowl as you do so. If your cleaning solution becomes too dirty, replace it;
- Don’t soak the leather entirely – simply use a damp cloth to remove the grime and dirt. Before cleaning an entire item, test the solution in an inconspicuous location to ensure it doesn’t damage or color the leather;
- Optionally, you may apply leather oil evenly over every surface available including those found on the armrests where they tend to accumulate sweat throughout several years;
Tips for users: you can apply leather oil once every 6 months on average in order to maintain the moisture level within its pores while protecting it from any harmful UV rays which would. Otherwise, you may damage your favorite gaming chair even further.
How to Maintain a Gaming Chair and Keep it Clean:
- Don’t eat and drink on your gaming chair. It doesn’t matter if you are eating something healthy or not, there will be crumbs everywhere and liquids can make your chair sticky. You don’t want that! When you spill food on your gaming chair, wipe it off immediately with a soft cloth dampened in warm water mixed with dishwashing liquid soap. This should remove any dirt without harming the material of your seat cover. Once dry, use an air compressor hose for added cleaning power. If all else fails then try using vinegar diluted in hot water instead;
- Never use water directly on leather because this may cause discoloration. Use lukewarm water instead;
- Always use mild soap or baby shampoo;
- Choose a cleaning solution that is mild and safe for the material of your gaming chair. Cleaning solutions vary depending on what type of fabric or leather you have. If it’s not clear, always test in an inconspicuous spot first before applying to all surfaces;
- Never vacuum up the spillage – mopping with water & detergent works best;
- Never use bleach or peroxide on leather;
- If you have a mesh seat, wipe it down with an anti-bacterial cleaner to prevent dirt buildup;
- You can also try using bicarbonate soda between cleanings for tougher stains;
- Use upholstery attachment when vacuuming;
- For spills & crumbs – lay the absorbent cloth over the affected area and iron from the underside of the fabric. This will help draw fluid out towards your cleaning rag/towel without saturating the cover material at all;
1. How do you clean a smelly gaming chair?
Consider using the mix of baking soda and vinegar to help to absorb the smell. Scrub with a toothbrush, especially on hard-to-reach areas like crevices or cracks. Leave it overnight then spray with scented essential oil in the morning before vacuuming up for a clean chair that smells good as new!
2. How do you clean a white mesh gaming chair?
Begin by washing the mesh chair with a washcloth and warm water. If you have more stubborn stains that need a stronger solution, try using a stain remover and cleaning gently with a washcloth. Use anything that won’t damage your mesh fabric.
3. How can you make your fabric chairs smell better?
The best way to make your fabric chairs smell better is by using a concentrated cleaner that can be diluted with water and applied directly onto the chair. You should then scrub it down, rinse off any excess soap and pat dry completely before letting them air-dry outside.
4. How do you get rid of stains that won’t come out?
If your stains won’t come out, you can try to use a stronger cleaning solution. For example, you may mix trying baking soda and water to create a DIY cleaning paste that should be left on the spot for at least half an hour before being scrubbed off with a toothbrush or other small brush.
5. What stains can’t be removed?
Some stains can’t be removed easily or completely, like ink or permanent marker. For these types of stains, you can try using diluted hydrogen peroxide to bleach the area before scrubbing it down with soap and water.
6. How do you clean non-removable chair cushions?
If your chair cushions can’t be removed, you can use a vacuum with a brush attachment to clean the surface of each cushion. If possible, hang it outside in an area that doesn’t have direct sunlight as this will dry out any moisture trapped inside and help remove stains.
Useful Video: How To Super Clean your Gaming Chair
You will need a liquid detergent, water and a sponge. Don't scrub the surface. Aggressive scrubbing might leave scratches and spoil the overall look of the gaming chair. Even the chairs that come with the tag of "clean with water only" can resist using a light detergent.How do you maintain a gaming chair? ›
- Step 1: Confirm the Type of Upholstery On Your Gaming Chair. ...
- Step 2: Vacuum/Dust the Chair Upholstery. ...
- Step 3: Clean the Chair Upholstery With a Water or Solvent Solution. ...
- Step 4: Hone In On stains. ...
- Step 5: Wash the Armrests, Base, and Frame. ...
- Step 6: Tighten Any Loose Screws and Clean the Casters.
- Step 1: Vacuum Well. ...
- Step 2: Mix a Stain Remover. ...
- Step 3: Prepare Rinse. ...
- Step 4: Treat the Stains. ...
- Step 5: Mix an Overall Upholstery Cleaner. ...
- Step 6: Start at the Top. ...
- Step 7: Rinse the Upholstery. ...
- Step 8: Air-Dry.
- Vacuum the Chair. Always begin your thorough cleaning session by vacuuming the chair. ...
- Treat Stains and Heavily Soiled Areas. ...
- Create a Stain-Removing Solution and Tackle Stains. ...
- Prepare an Overall Cleaning Solution. ...
- Clean, Rinse, and Dry the Upholstery.